How To Tame Food Cravings
Plan your meals for the day or for the entire week. This will reduce uncertainty & you will not have to think about what to eat next. So you will be less tempted and less likely to experience cravings.
In my previous post we discovered reasons behind some common food cravings. So do we know how to control them? Below are few tips & tricks to control unhealthy food cravings.
- Do not Skip meals & avoid extreme hunger by always having a healthy snack ready.
- Indulge in nonfood related things like hot water bath, play music, dance or light candles to keep yourself distracted & to avoid temptations.
- Keep yourself prepared for such cravings by keeping a fruit bowl or chocolate milk in the fridge. For sweet cravings take a tsp of honey or a handful of raisins or sweetened cranberries.
Does this mean that you should say goodbye to French fries, cakes, chips? NO !!
- Stay hydrated by drinking enough water as thirst is generally confused with hunger. So when the craving is creeping in try drinking a big glass of water.
- Increase protein intake as it reduces appetite & keeps you full.
- Get enough sleep as sleep deprivation may disrupt normal fluctuations in appetite hormones, leading to cravings and poor appetite control. Getting good sleep is one of the powerful ways to control cravings esp midnight ones.
- Fight stress as it causes people to overeat. Stress raises your blood levels of cortisol, a hormone that can make you gain weight, especially in the belly area.
- Don’t go shopping when you’re hungry and you don’t have a list, because you’re just going to buy all sorts of junk food & will end up eating some unhealthy food. The best way to prevent cravings from happening at the store is to shop only when you’ve recently eaten.
- Once a while just satisfy your craving but limit the quantity like instead of large ice cream go for small cone so that you do not over eat.
If you feel your food cravings are ruining your life then use these tips as a guide to control the cravings.